Position: Data Protection Associate and Officer
lecocqassociate is a boutique corporate and finance regulatory practice, established in Malta since 2010 and specialises in selected areas, including regulatory banking, collective investments, corporate finance, regulatory insurance, Islamic finance and private equity.
We are looking to grow our team and seek a lawyer admitted to the bar to assist us in providing our clients with advice in Data Protection.
Applicants must have an excellent command of the legal principles pertaining to Data Protection within the corporate and finance regulatory field and have the ability to apply such principles to day-to-day requirements of clients, as they may arise, with extreme precision.
- Develop Data Protection support as a business line within the firm, taking a pro-active approach to bringing in and growing the business
- Review and upgrade internal policies and procedures, which have a direct or indirect impact on the lecocqassociate Group’s data protection obligations, in accordance with best practices, including intra-group data processing agreements;
- Provide efficient and effective Data Protection support to lecocqassociate and its clients;
- Developing the firm’s GDPR compliance system and ensure that it is adequately maintained;
- Raise awareness within the Group, providing periodic training to staff in relation to data protection rights and obligations;
- Review business forms and contracts, bringing them in line with GDPR requirements, ensuring that consent forms are obtained when required;
- Provide guidance and oversight in all aspects of privacy impact assessments, including effects in the adoption of new (or changes to current) policies or procedures;
- Informing and advising the firm and its clients of their GDPR compliance obligations and reporting any data protection concerns to senior management;
- Carry out random checks for the firm and its clients to ensure appropriate GDPR compliance, maintaining comprehensive records of personal data processing activities;
- Act as the contact point for data subjects and clients with regards to all issues related to the processing of their personal data and to the exercise of their rights, including subject access requests;
- Liaise closely with IT to ensure implementation and maintenance of appropriate security controls;
- Prepare procedures for the issuance of data breach notifications within the stipulated timeframes, where necessary.
Attributes & Qualifications
- A legal degree (essential); a Data Protection qualification (preferred);
- 2 years’ working experience in Compliance (desirable);
- Be smart, confident and of a high level of integrity and professional ethics.
- Have a good command of the English language and must be well acquainted with Microsoft Office (ideally, with ECDL qualification).
- Be pro-active and have the willingness and drive to implement new methodologies;
- Be highly self-motivated and able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Possess excellent problem solving, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Be willing to learn further and develop skills while being able to work under the instruction and guidance of senior associates.
- Be capable of influencing and interfacing easily with employees at all levels;
- Have a good understanding of IT Security techniques;
lecocqassociate strives to provide its clients with a consistent high quality of work and precision. This level is therefore expected out of its associates. Associates shall present themselves in a respectful, prudent and professional manner to clients.
The associates must have a good command of legal principles pertaining to Data Protection within the corporate and finance regulatory field and be able to apply such principles to day-to-day requirements of clients as they may arise with extreme precision.